I'm not a huge fan of espadrilles. Some see the style as classic, but often the actual espadrille material gets (or comes already) matted, unkempt and dirty looking, which comes off as cheap no matter the price point. Taking into account that these shoes were once reserved for peasants and made out of cheap materials such as jute rope and grass, you probably can see how I can come to this conclusion. But you all enjoy your potato sack peasant shoes okay. *sarcasm font* However, if the rope part of the espadrilles are wound tightly and neatly enough or if they are colored or used as an accent in a bigger design, I think they can be very summer chic. In fact, the one pair of espadrille I do own (pictured below) has just a thin border of rope around the base of the wedge.
Fun fact, I bought these Fendi wedges for graduation two years ago for $80! Now they retail for $500! To date, this is still my best fashion find.
If you are dead set on wearing espadrilles this summer, here are 1o pairs that won't make you look like a peasant.
1) Paul Andrews Patmos Espadrille Wedges
2) Alexander McQueen Studded Espadrille Wedges
3) Pella Moda Oates Crystal Embellished Espadrille Wedge Sandal
4) Valentino Fringe Leather Espadrille Sandal
5) Christian Louboutin Cataclou Python-Embossed Studded Platform Red Sole Espadrille
More fab espadrilles after the break!
6) Miu Miu Suede Ankle-Wrap Espadrille Sandals
7) Topshop Espadrille Platform Sandal
8) Alexander Wang Tori Espadrille Wedges
Follow Me To Get Your Daily Dose of Fashionable Feminine Fun