If you follow me on twitter during any of the award shows, you would know how deeply disappointed I am of the red carpet fashion of the past few awards seasons. With almost unlimited funds, personal stylists and direct access to designers and custom made designs, I just can not understand why so many celebrities select such boring gowns. I understand the hesitance to wear avant garde or way out there couture pieces, but come on people! There are way too many interesting, well constructed, visually appealing dress available for eeeeveryone to be dressed in the exact same, extremely snooze worthy dress. So I found 8 gowns, most available for purchase at major department stores, that just up the ante and might land your favorite celeb on the best dressed list.
1)Michael Kors, Wool-Crepe Gown with Cape Back. I'm actually not a huge fan of Michael Kors. But this high slight, chiffon cape dress almost bought a tear to my eye. It's a very simple dress with dramatic details that stand out in an elegant way.
2) Gucci, White Silk Cady Gown with Crystal Tube Embroidery. This is another simple dress with dramatic details. This 100% silk dress with hand sewn crystal tubing up the ante with sexy side and back cutouts with a slight back slit,
3)Donna Karan, Sequined Cold-Shoulder Mermaid Gown. With knockout gowns like this one, no wonder Donna Karan is a staple on the red carpet. While this may be more of a Rihanna Grammys dress, it's certainly not a snoozefest.
4) Rene Ruiz, Strapless Pailette Gown with Ruffle Hem. Allover pailettes (sequin). Tulle-ruffled hem. Bias-cut bodice. Mermaid silhouette. While this dress isn't for everyone, it's such a knockout for people who can afford
liposuction a personal trainer.
5) Lanvin,One-Shoulder Silk Satin Gown. Another dress that isn't for everyone, but for the right one.... This dress displays an old school elegance that isn't likely to be repeated on the red carpet. Granted this dress is on pre-order, I'm sure that the right call, from the right stylist, for the client could procure this dress early.
6) Donna Karan, Long-Sleeve Cold-Shoulder Slash Gown. Do you not see the majesty of Donna Karan? A figure flattering side ruching, a high slit and cool cutouts wrapped in a still elegant package.
7) La Petite Robe di Chiara Boni, Melania Off-The-Shoulder Gown. This is a more minimalistic option, with again a neck slit (you can see I have a thing for them this season huh?) and some side hip detail. This dress's unique fabrication is universally flattering and is a better choice for an "every woman".
8) Zac Posen, Origami Off-the-Shoulder Gown. Zac. Posen. The Gawd. Actresses that have Zac Posen's showstopping design have dominated the best dressed list season after season. With the expertly tailored bodices, rich fabrics and intricate details his dresses invoke an Old Hollywood glamour that usseeeddd to run the red carpet.