Some days it's harder than others to get creative inspiration. It's rainy, it's cold, its finals week, it's Tuesday, whatever. If you're a visual person like me, sometimes it's like all the images online look the same and you crave something different. When this happens I look to moving images, tv shows and movies. Here are some of the shows and movies (easily accessible on Netflix) that I look to for inspiration.
1) Funny Face. Old movies are great for inspiration. It fun to look at fashion and culture from earlier times. Some of the best old movies include the elegant fashion plate Audrey Hepburn. While she was best known for her role in Breakfast at Tiffany's, she was in a host of other fashion focused movies, including this one. Picked out of a small bookstore, Hepburn is chosen to be the new face of a leading fashion publication. While her trip to Paris she falls in love with her photographer. Filled with great musical number and awesome costumes, you'll be inspired to create something fabulous.
2) My Fair Wedding with David Tutera. So this man is a genius and his weddings look like real life pinterest boards. By the end of one show you'll be ready to tackle that next project.
3) Clueless. "You don't understand. This is an Alaia!" Hopefully the fashion of the 90's inspires you to do better. It was a dark, yet comical time.
4) Gossip Girl. The writing may not be the greatest, but the fashion is. Everyone from Jenny Packham to Kiki De Montparnasse to Vivier to Elie Saab, GG gave good and diverse fashion to new generation of the fashion obsessed. I'm totally a Blair. Who are you?
5) Valentino: The Last Emperor. Getting in the head of another creative has help your own work. Especially the amazing talent of couture designer Valentino. You'll learn about both the business and the art of the mystic world of high fashion. Everything else other than running a famed fashion house will seem like a breeze.
Where do you look to for inspiration?